Thursday, January 29, 2009

THE PERSONAL STORY OF BHETHALA

Bhethala was impressed by the determination and adventure of Vikramadithya. He had appeared in his real form instead of corpse to Vikramadithya and said, “Vikramadithya! I’m pleased with you. I tell my previous life history to you. Listen. In my previous birth, I was a Brahmin. I was called as Kalahasthi Sarma by people. My residence was at Trisira Puram in Chola Mandalam. I was poojari [who perform devotional programs in the temple] in local temple of God Shiva and ParVathi Devi. I was known as Sthanika also.

One day I had performed last pooja to God Shiva and Goddess ParVathi Devi. I had served God and Goddess with flowers, water and sweet dishes. I had locked the doors of temple and started to home. Then I had recognized that I had forgotten to take my prasadam and Dakshina in the temple. [The remained dishes offered to God are known as prasadam. It is holy to Indians. The money and gifts offered by people to poojari for his service is known as Dakshina] Then I went back to the temple. I had opened the doors of temple and gone inside.

Just then, I had noticed as some body was going into the inner temple of God Shiva. I had hidden myself beside and peeped into the inner temple. There Goddess Parvathi Devi sat in front of God Shiva. She was asking him to tell her wonderful and un-happened stories in the worlds of universe. I’m listening with keen observation. God Shiva had told 23 stories with explanation to ParVathi Devi. He had told 24th story and said that the relationship among the kids was not known in that story. Without making disturbance, I came to the house. Because I was late on that day, my wife had asked me as “Why are you so late this day.” I didn’t say as “Nothing” due to my mis-fate. I said “My dear wife! God Shiva was telling 24 stories to Goddess Parvathi Devi. Until now, I was hearing them from hidden place. Because of that, I was late.” She said, “What? Did God Shiva and Goddess Parvathi Devi appear to you? Are you able to hear their conversation? It is very strange to hear. I’m not able to believe it. If it is true, tell me those stories.” I said, “My dear wife! Because these stories were told by God Shiva, they should not be telling to others. Because you are my wife, I’m going to tell them to you. Keep them in secrecy. Don’t tell any other.” I had narrated every story to her. Somehow, my wife had controlled herself for that night.

When it came morning, my wife had taken water pot and rushed to the lake to fetch water. She was very curious and eager to tell the stories to her friends. Being woman, she was not able to keep them in secrecy. She had told all the stories to her friends. Hence, those stories were spread all over in the city. One day God Shiva had appeared to me and cursed me as “Sthanika! I had told strange and secret stories to ParVathi Devi. You had heard them by hiding yourself. Your wife had spread them all over. You are responsible for this. Hence, you become as Bhethala.”

I had taken the curse with devotion and kept calm for few minutes. Then I said, “Mahadeva! You love your devotees. You are father of devotes. You are kind on us. God! Please forgive me for my sins. Please allot me the end of curse.” I had prayed God Shiva in several ways. He was pleased with me. He said, “Sthanika. In future, there will be Ujjain Nagaram. At a distance of two Amadas to it, there will Maham Kali temple in thick Bruhadaranyam. There will be a big Moduga tree at near to that temple. You will hang to that tree vertically inverted for 300 years. Then there come a saint by name Gnana Seela. He will perform a Yagnam. He will scarify many kings on the alter and put their heads in Yagna Gundam. Once Vikramadithya will come there, to help this Maya Saint. He will bind you to take to Saint Gnana Seela. Then you tell him all these stories one by one, with one condition. Ask him to reply your questions. As per condition, he should not break the silence. If he breaks the silence, you should not oblige him. If he keeps silence by knowing the answer to your question, his head will break into 1000 pieces. He will give explanation to 23 stories. He can’t give answer to the last 24th story. Then you obey him. Serve him for 2000 years. Then you can reach my world Kailasam along with Vikramadithya.”

Since then, I am waiting here for your arrival. I could recognize you because of your adventure, appearance, and ability. Now I became subordinate to you. I can carry you to anywhere in this world at a moment. I can bring whatever you want within seconds.”

Vikramadithya felt wonder and happy. He asked “Bhethala! You are a Brahmin. Is it right to get on you for me?”

Bhethala said, “Oh king. Don’t doubt such. This Bhethala body won’t belong to Brahmin. That’s why accept me as your slave.” The king Vikramadithya had accepted this. Since then, Bhethala became slave to him.

Bhethala said, “Maharaja! I have a request to you. Because you had accepted my deal, you became as my bass. I became as your slave. Hence, it is my responsibility to forecast the would be dangers to you and to tell you the ideas to overcome such dangers. Now you are taking me to the saint Gnana Seela. But he is not good. He is a pseudo saint. He will ask you to take bathe and put Sashtanga Namaskar to Kalika Devi. [Sastanga Namaskar means putting namaskar by laying down the entire body on the ground as head, fore head, nose, chin, shoulders, chest, belly and thighs, knees and feet touch the ground] He is planning to cut off your head as an offer to Goddess Kalika Devi. Then Goddess kalika Devi will appear him and give boons to him. That’s why, when the saint ask you to put Sastanga Namaskar, don’t do. You say to him that you don’t know to put such Sastanga Namaskar. You ask him to show how to put it. Then he will perform it. While he put Sastanga, you cut off his head with your sword. Then Goddess will give boons to you only.”

By that time, they had reached the temple. Gnana Seela was waiting for him. He felt extreme happy by watching the corpse on the shoulder of Vikramadithya. Gnana Seela said, “Oh Vikrmadithya Maharaja! You are really great. There is no body like you in these 14 worlds. Nobody can overpower Bhethala except you. You had done the same for me. I’m really grateful to you. I’m very happy. Now let me finish my devotion to Goddess Durga. There is only one event to be complete. You go to that holy lake and take bathe.”

Vikrmadithya had done so. When he returned after having bathe, Gnana Seela said, “Oh Rajendra! Put Sastanga Namaskar”. The king, Vikramadithya put namaskar to Goddess by standing. Gnana Seela said, “No. Maharaja! Put Sastangam”. Vikramadithya put namaskar to Goddess by sitting this time. Gnana Seela said with little bit irritating “No Maharaja! Not like that. Put Sastangam”. Vikramadithya said, “I don’t know how to put Sastangam. Show it for me.” Gnana Seela had laid his body on the ground in front of Goddess idol and put sastanga namaskaram.

Immediately Vikramadithya had cut off his head by his sword in a single stroke. There were big sounds of bells in the temple. There was bright light. Goddess Kalika Devi had appeared in front of Vikramadithya. With extreme joy, he had praised the Goddess with devotion. Goddess Kali said, “My son! I admire your adventure and determination. Ask, what do you want? I’ll give boons as per your desire.” Vikramadithya said, “Mother! I’m your son. I’m the devotee of your feet. I should have always-moral thinking, pure heart and mind, strength and worrier ship. You should give your darshan whenever I play you to appear. In my kingdom, there should be good rains in appropriate seasons. The crops should be evergreen and yieldive. People should be happy always with luxuries and without sorrows. Oh, mother! To make you to appear this saint Gnana Seela had killed 999 princes of many kingdoms and cities. You please make them alive.”

Goddess Kalika Devi was very pleased with his good nature and versatile personality. She had given boons to him as per his desire. She had made the 999 princes alive and blessed them. Then she had vanished. The princes thanked Vikrmadithya and praised him. All of they had left to their places.

Vikramadithya had returned to Ujjain by riding on Bhethala. Bhethala took him by air. By hearing all of this, Bhatti felt happy. All the people of Ujjain kingdom made festivals. In Vikramadithya and Bhatti’s ruling everybody was happy and peaceful.

MadanabhiSheka Valli continued…

Oh Bhoja Raja! Do you hear? Vikramadithya had donative nature, devotion, adventure, logical sense, sensitive thinking while making justice in the disputes, controversial and while solving the problems. He had no ego and pride. He was always devotional to Goddess Kalika Devi. He was concern about his people and others. Do you have such qualities in you at least some extent? If you have such eligibility, then you can sit on this throne. Otherwise turn back to home.”

By that time, it was sunset. Bhoja Raja got down from the second step of the throne. The court was adjourned to the next day. All of they had gone to their homes.

OUT COMING SKILLS: From these stories, not only children, elders also can learn many things. In fact, in Indian culture and in their epics, God Shiva and Goddess Parvathi Devi are ideal wife and husband. Their world is Kailasam. It is not rich like Vaikuntam [The world of God Vishnu], Satya Lokam [The world of God Brahma] and Amaravathi [The world of deities]. God Shiva is not rich. He lives in burial ground. He represents in beggars. But Goddess Parvathi Devi never leaves him. They stand as role model for a pair of wife and husband. They represent idol family, so that there is a name ‘Adi dampathulu’ for them. [The meaning of Adi Dampathulu is first couple of wife and husband] Such Shiva Parvathulu had enjoyed stories. God Shiva told Bhethala stories to Goddess Parvathi Devi. Like that, Indian culture had induced stories in the family life of Indians. In addition to this, there is a tradition in Indian culture as Purana Patanam. [Means reading of epic stories] Vratha Kadha Sravanam etc [Means telling stories at the end of devotions to God.]

With confirmation, I can say that ‘story telling’ among the family members will increase the bondage among them. I practically examined this over thousands of my friends, students and relatives since my childhood. Being teacher, mother, and family member, I got success with storytelling in my work. Now even, we can observe the impact of story on the silver screen of cinemas. Cinemas having high costumes, stardom, picturaising qualities are getting failure it they have no good story. Cinemas with good and logical story having no other attracting such as fame hero, heroines, directors, rich production, high technical picturisation are getting success.

Such that, ‘the concept of story’ had great impact on our lives. These Bhethala stories have un-imaginary turns in narration. In fact, these are like mines of stories. Not only children, elders also can absorb so many good qualities by reading these stories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

whats up everyone


just signed up and wanted to say hello while I read through the posts


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.