Friday, February 6, 2009

THE STORY TOLD BY PILLOW

The pillow was telling the remaining story.

It had continued …

Since the mid wife had the attitude of good and bad, because she was moral to some extent, she had left the baby beside the snake’s hill. The newborn kid was crying with cold air. The 5 headed king cobra which was living in that snakes’ hill had heard this sound. It came out. There was the newborn baby, which was cute and bright. The king cobra had paid his magic power i.e. knowledgeous vision. He came to know that this kid was the grandson of the king Gandheswara i.e. the son of his son Kanthi Rupudu. He thought, “The fore fathers of this kid were devoting our snake Gods and this snake hill since 21 generations by paying tributes with milk, fruits and gold. This boy also can serve to us and devote us. Hence, I have to adjoin this kid to his Grandfather, who was the king of this Chandra Giri.”

By thinking like this, the 5 headed king cobra Goddess had taken the kid into the temple of Goddess Kali Devi and kept it inside the inner temple.

In the morning, the king Gandheswara had came there along with his ministers and other officials as usual to devote Goddess Kalika Devi. While he was paying tributes, he heard the kids’ cry from inside. They felt wonder by hearing such cry from inner temple. They had checked inside. What a wonder! They had observed cute newborn baby i.e. boy there. The king felt very happy. He praised the Goddess Kali like anything. He thought, “This kid is a gift to me from Goddess. Because I lost my son, Goddess Kali mother had presented me this boy.” He had taken the kid to palace gave to his Queen. He said, “Since we are sinking in the ocean of sorrow of missing our son Kanthi Rupudu, Goddess Kali had blessed us with this kid. We had found him in the inner temple.”

By watching the kid, his Queens said, “Oh king! Really, God is great. What a wonder is this? You see this boy looks like our own son Kanthi Rupudu. When Kanthi Rupudu born, he was just like this kid only.”

Every body wondered to such natural phenomena. They had given ‘Madana Sekhara’ name to the boy. They were bringing him up with high care, love and affection. As growing, he learnt many sasthras, war arts and other talents. He had grown up to 20 years age. One day he had gone on a visit to city on a chariot along with his near friends. The news had spread in the city. People gathered on roads to see their prince. His chariot entered into the prostitutes’ street. Everybody was talking about this. While the servant-maids were talking about the prince i.e. son of Gandheswara, Kanthi Rupini heard it. At once, she thought that her husband Kanthi Rupudu had found. She rushed to balcony. She had seen the prince with keen observation and eager. At the same time, Madana sekhara had seen her. She thought, “What a wonder! Is this my husband Kanthi Rupudu?” She had seen him for few more minutes in deep. She thought, “He looks almost as Kanthi Rupudu. But he is younger. He is not my husband Kanthi Rupudu.” Immediately she got sense of herself. She trembled with fear. She had thought, “Why I had seen this man with keen observation. If others watch me, what they will think about me? It is not good to me.” like a flashlight, she had rushed to inside from balcony.”

Madana Sekhara had observed all of this. He had thought, “Why this woman had seen me with keen observation. There is something strange in her eyes. She is very beautiful. Just like a flash, she had disappeared. It was as if the moon disappearance behind the clouds. Something is attracting me towards her. Who might be she? I should know about her.”

After visit on city, Madana Sekhara returned to his palace. With friends, he had taken food, drinks and relaxed. He had taken 1000 Honnes [the then currency] and given to his near friend. He said, “Oh my dear friend. I want to say a secret to you. Today when we had gone to city tour, I had seen a beautiful woman in the prostitute street. I have interest on her. You go to that house, give this money to that house owner and arrange my meeting with her.”

This friend also had seen Kanthi Rupini when she was observing keenly Madana Sekhara. He had observed Madana Sekhar’s absent-mindedness after that incident. Hence, he had assured the prince and gone to Soundara Valli’s house. By that time, Kanthi Rupini was decorating the house with flowers as in the part of her daily work. The friend of prince had seen her keenly. He thought, “This woman is really beautiful. We never see such a beauty on this earth. My friend i.e. prince had crazy on her because of this rare beauty and delicacy in her. Let me talk to the boss of this prostitute house, Soundarya Valli.” By receiving the news of the arrival of prince’s friend, Soundarya Valli welcomed him, treated him with regards. She had given him seat and sweets. She felt very happy about this event. She said, “Oh great man! You came here by treating me as famous. By your arrival, my life got success. My house becomes holy. Our elders used to say that great people do not come to anywhere unless they have appropriate reason. That’s why, I request you to explain the reason of your visit. We have to entertain people. In such case if our service entertains the people like you, it will be grateful to us.”

The prince’s friends said, “Soundarya Valli! I’m happy with your welcome. And I’m pleased with your conversation. Really, you are talented. By knowing that you are the best among the prostitutes in our city, I came to you. Among the prostitutes in our city, your qualities are famous. Here is the information to you from our prince Madana Sekhara. When the prince came on city tour, he had seen some beautiful woman at your house. He had desire to enjoy with her company. This is the royal work. He is our prince and future king. Being citizens, we should serve them. You are the prostitute by profession. Since generations, your family is in the some profession. Hence, there is no need for me to remind your duty. Here is your gift, 1000 Honnes. Take this money and satisfy our prince. What do you say?” [In ancient India, kings and people as a profession patronized the prostitution. The prostitutes used to dance in temples and royal courts. They used to participate in devotional programs. As well, they used to entertain men with their talents and sex.]

By hearing the words of prince’s friend, Soundarya Valli felt very happy. She had thought, “My daughter who was earning by prostitute profession had died. Since 20 years, I’m living without earnings by investing the savings. In such case who will look after me in future, in my further old age? After so long time I got this offer. This man had came to pay me 1000 Honnes. It is really luck to me. By moral or immoral, as prior we have to earn money. Otherwise, how to live comfortable?”

She said, “Oh great man! This is your house. Nobody is here to object you. I’m not disobedient to prince. He can come at any time. Always this house doors are open to him. That woman is my daughter like. He can enjoy her company.”

The prince’s friend had paid 1000 Honnes to her and fixed the prince’s appointment by that night. He returned to the prince. He said, “Oh prince! Madana Sekhara! I had seen that woman. Really, she is beautiful. She looks like Rambha, Urvasi, Thilothama etc divine women. She is Soundarya Valli’s daughter. Soundarya Valli is the famous prostitute in our city. She had agreed to our deal. You can visit her house by this night.”

The prince Madana Sekhara heard all of this. He had thought, “She is prostitute’s daughter. Hence, we have no relation with her. There is no such possibility even. Then why I had attraction on her? There is something strange. I must locate for it. If there is not anything strange, let me enjoy with her. It is not wrong to enjoy with prostitute. Anyway, today night I’ll go to that prostitute’s house.”

By night, after dinner Madana Sekhara got dressed up with beautiful colored silk dress and ornaments. He was eager to meet Kanthi Rupini. By hearing that she was a prostitute, he had some lust on her. But his sixth sense or natural instinct was warning him as something guilty was somewhere. With this suspicion and anxiety, he had reached the prostitutes’ street. He had left all his royal signs. It was night by 15 Ghadiyas time. [The then measure of time] It was dark. He was walking lonely. In that dark even, he could recognize Soundarya Valli’s house. Suddenly, a big blow of wind was there. All the lamps in the house had put off. Madana Sekhara didn’t stop. He was eager to go into the house. He stepped on a smooth thing. By sensing the smooth touch he jumped over it and going. There was a black cow and its calf tied by rope to a pillar. The prince didn’t notice the animals due to dark. He had stepped on the tail of calf and jumped over it. After jumping, the prince got doubt about the object on which he stepped. He had turn back to check up.

By that time, the calf said, “Mother! What time is this? This prince had stepped on my tail. Again, he jumped over it. He is going on.” The cow had replied “My dear calf! Do you think that it is a wonder as jump over your tail? This prince is a sin fellow. He is going to enjoy sex with his mother. To such sin doing fellow, will you be an obstacle or will me be an obstacle or will God be an obstacle? There is no doubt about such people as they can do much more sins. You keep quite. If we talk about such people, it will be a sin to us.”

The prince knew the language of animals. He was shocked. He had thought, “Oh God! I thought that the woman whom I had seen is prostitute. I came here to enjoy lust with prostitute. On the other hand, my inner sense is warning me. I sensed something strange. How that woman could be my mother? But, why the animals say bluff? Why should my sixth sense saying something strange is here. Why my soul gets attractive towards her? I’m very younger. My father Gandheswara king is very old man. There should be some secret in my birth. I should know it. We should not take any decision without investigating the details till end.”

By thinking like this, Madana Sekhara had prepared his mind with balance. He had gone inside. Soundarya Valli had received him as if he was Devendra, the king of deities. She had offered him to wait in the bedroom. The bedroom was decorated with flowers, perfumes and lights. They had arranged an attractive bed there. The prince had sat on the bed with deep thinking.

Soundarya Valli had approached Kanthi Rupini and said, “Oh girl! Rupa Vathi! I’m protecting you since 20 years. Whenever I forced you to adopt my profession, you protested my proposal. The young and rich men in this city were harassing me since your disagreement to my proposal. Somehow, I had bared all this and protecting you with all comforts. But today, the prince of this city had came to our house to enjoy with you. You should obey me now. Otherwise, we will lose our heads.”

Kanthi Rupini asked her, “Prince means who he is?” Soundarya Valli said, “Madana Sekharudu.” By hearing this, Kanthi Rupini had closed her ears with two hands and said, “Oh God! How bitter is this! Please do not say such words to me. I can’t do such immoral and sin activities, in which ever manner you force me. Please leave me.” But Soundarya Valli didn’t leave her. She was trying to convince Kanthi Rupini. Kanthi Rupini had thought, “It is my sin to live after the missing of my husband. If I die on that day itself, I could escape from the blame of pregnancy, the king’s punishment and the present prostitute’s harassment. What a bad lucky person I am? How bitter my fate is! Whenever I notice that this house is of a prostitute, on that day itself, I should commit suicide. Oh God! Please save me from this disaster.”

By thinking like this, Kanthi Rupini kept calm. By watching her silence, Soundarya Valli thought, “Silence is half agreement. This RupaVathi had agreed to my deal. Without knowing this technique, I had wasted so much of time. Otherwise, I could earn much within these 20 years. Anyway, first let me take this woman to the bedroom at which the prince is waiting. It is not safe to keep him in further waiting.”

By force, she had kept Kanthi Rupini in the bedroom and closed the doors. Kanthi Rupini was helpless and horrified. She was shocked with fear. She was standing beside the cot by holding its frame. She was not able to notice anything in her surroundings. With surprise, Madana Sekhara got up from the cot. He had seen her face. Being kid, he didn’t drink her breast milk. The milk from her breast had spread on his face. With this miraculary incident, his shock, surprise and guilty concept had driven him from there. Immediately he had returned to his palace. Soundarya Valli had watched the departure of prince from her house. She had worried since the prince didn’t spend much time there. Immediately she had rushed into the bedroom. There Kanthi Rupini stood beside the cot by holding its frame like a statue. Soundarya Valli got severe anger with her. She shouted, “Oh Devil! You had demolished my house. Oh God! I don’t know that which type of punishment that I’m going to receive from the king.” Soundarya Valli was crying and scolding Kanthi Rupini. Kanthi Rupini didn’t react further.

Like this, the night passed. It was early in the morning. The sun was like a red fruit in the East. There was cool breeze. The flowers were blossom and all surroundings were filled with sweet smells. The birds were singing. The morning devotions, mantras and temple bells sounds were spreading in the city. The king and Queen had finished their daily works such as bathe etc. The king and the ministers were ready to go to the temple of Goddess Kali Devi as usual. By that time, every day, the prince Madana Sekhara used to be there before all others. But he was not there on that day. The king had sent servants to invite him to the temple. Since the return from Soundarya Valli’s house, Madana Sekhara was very sad and confused. He had laid on bed with desperation. The servants had informed to the king as the prince was not active and he lay on the bed with desperation. The king worried like anything. He rushed to the suit of the prince. Madana Sekhara was on the bed. His face was like a folded flower. The hair was not combed. His eyes were filled with tears. The king was shocked by his appearance. He had held him in hands and said, “My dear son. Why, what is the reason? Why are you like this? You are not cheer up. What happened?”

Madana Sekhara said, “Father! I have some doubts. If you promise me to clear my doubts, then I’ll take bathe and food. Otherwise I’ll be like this only.”

Gandheswara said, “My child. I promise you. I’ll do whatever you like. Get and
have bathe. Take your food and come to the court.” Madana Sekhara had completed his bathe and went to the court. Gandheswara said, “My son! Tell me, what are your doubts?” Madana Sekhara said, “Father! You are bringing me up with love and affection. Nobody said anything. Till date, I feel that you and the Queen are my parents. But, now, I have some doubts. That’s why I’m asking like this. Are you my parents? Otherwise, are you bringing me up? Did I have some other parents who had given birth to me? Let me clear this doubt. Otherwise, I don’t like to live. This is my promise.”

By hearing this, Gandheswara felt a cyclone thunder. He trembled with fear and surprise. He thought with sorrow “Oh God! What a danger is this? My own son had missed since long time. My daughter-in-law got pregnancy and punished to be in forest. In that sorrow, I found this kid in the temple. By thinking that he is the gift of God, we are bringing him up. But, now, he is speaking like a thunder in the sky. What I have to do? If I bluff, regarding his birth details he may not believe. Moreover, he may not be with us. It is not safe. Let be happen whatever it happen. But it is always safe to tell truth only.”

By thinking like this, Gandheswara hugged and kissed Madana Sekhara. He said, “My dear child! Why you have this type of doubts today, I don’t know. By thinking that it will be a great disaster, you had taken such severe promises. If you want to know, there is no secrecy here. I’ll tell your birth details. Listen carefully; I had a son by name Kanthi Rupudu. He was very handsome. By search all over, I had performed his marriage with appropriate beautiful princess by name Kanthi Rupini. I made them to live peacefully in the 7-stared palace at the end of our city with all comforts and servants. They were always lived together. They had love and affection towards each other. Among those days, suddenly my son had missed from the palace. We don’t know what was the faith and sin my daughter-in-law had conceived pregnancy. How she could conceive pregnancy without the company of husband? The security to that palace was very tight. She was surrounded with servant-maids. Nobody knew anything. As a punishment, I had sent her to forest. We don’t know whether she died or alive or given birth to any baby. Some time passed. My wives and myself were crying for our missed son and fate of my daughter-in-law. As usual, one day I had gone to the temple of Goddess Durga. You were there in the inner temple. It seems that you were like newborn baby. I had taken you as if you were the gift of Goddess Kali to us. I brought you to palace and gave to my wives. We had brought you up with love and affection. You are my life. I made you as prince of my kingdom. And you only the future king to this kingdom.”

Madana Sekhara kept calm for some time. He thought, “I was not born to this king and Queen. I was found in the temple. The black cow had said that I had gone to enjoy sex with my mother. The woman in the prostitute was strange. Why her breast milk had spread on my face? I must know the details. Nobody is here to tell me such. It is possible to investigate into my birth secret, by questioning the prostitute Soundarya Valli and the woman there i.e. Rupa Vathi.”

He said with the king Gandheswara “Father! I got some peace by hearing your words. But without knowing the complete secret of birth, I can’t be peaceful. Please call on the prostitute Soundarya Valli and a woman Rupa Vathi who is living in our city. We have to enquire them. I hope that they know my birth secret.”

The king surprised to this. But he decided to enquire until end. He ordered his soldiers to bring Soundarya Valli and Rupa Vathi. The soldiers had conveyed the King’s order to Soundarya Valli. Soundarya Valli trembled with fear. She said with Rupa Vathi “Oh Devil. You are like a ghost towards me. Where I found you as per my fate? I had protected you long time as if you are my own daughter. Is it resulting for it? You became like a snake beneath my pillow. Last night, how many ways I counseled you? But you didn’t pay attention. You burnt my life. You had ill-treated and shown disregards towards the prince. He might be anger with me. Otherwise, we don’t receive the king’s soldiers with a message of the king’s order to attend the court within short period. Oh God! May be my head won’t lie an my neck. The king’s order will be rude enough! Oh Rupa Vathi! Please let me know what happened in the bedroom at least now itself. If you tell me without hiding, I can think how to convince the prince. Otherwise, we should receive death as a punishment. Please tell me.” Kanthi Rupini didn’t know anything i.e. what happened on the night. Since she was in deep shock. She didn’t know about the observation of prince, the spreading of her breast milk on his face. That’s why she kept calm. On the other hand, the soldiers were warning Soundarya Valli to move. Soundarya Valli scolded Rupa Vathi and said, “Enough! Why should I scold you? This is all my fate! Being experienced prostitute now, I’m facing king’s enquiry and punishment because of you. By this time, it is safe to tell the truth what I know. By the way God will save me, and God may forgive me.”

Soundarya Valli and Rupa Vathi had arrived to the court along with the king’s soldiers. By watching them, the king Gandheswara had recognized his daughter-in-law Kanthi Rupini. He got tears by watching her in such a situation. He didn’t reveal anything. Some of his ministers also recognized her but kept calm. Gandheswara had controlled himself and started to enquire them. He called on Soundarya Valli. She stood obediently before him with folded hands. He said, “Soundarya Valli! You brought this woman along with you. Who is she? Is she your daughter or not? You will be alive if you say the truth. Don’t try to bluff. It is no use of it. Don’t think that we cannot identify what you say. This is the royal court. Here the judges and ministers are scholars. They can identify what is truth and what is false. Without fear, tell us the truth.”

Soundarya Valli was trembling with extreme fear. She said, “Oh Maharaja! I tell the truth as it is happened. If I had done any mistake, please forgive me. I had a daughter. She was beautiful and talented. But due to my fate, she had died by failing in delivering a baby. When she was alive, doing prostitution my house was always with full of gallants and young men. When she died, nobody came to perform post death ceremony even, to her. I felt helpless and lonely. Since I had no alternative, on that day I had taken the corpse of my daughter to the burial ground. I was burning it at night. After mid night i.e. by 15 Ghadiyas in the night, the woman RupaVathi had came there. She tried to jump into fire of corpse and die. By that time, she was pregnant of matured months. I pitied on her. I had consoled her, convinced her and taken to my house. I had protected her as if she is my own daughter. Since she is beautiful, I had desired to earn by making her to do prostitution; after delivery. One day she was suffering from delivery pains. I had called on midwife and ordered her to tie Rupa Vathi’s eyes by cloth. I bribed the midwife to kill the baby of Rupa Vathi if it is boy. I asked her to protect if the baby is girl. Oh, king! Please forgive me for this kid’s murder. In my profession of prostitution, girls will be assets to us. We don’t need boys. We used to think that it would be waste to bring up the boy. The mid wife had accepted my deal. Pity! This woman Rupa Vathi had given birth to a boy. The mid wife had taken the baby out. I don’t know whether that mid wife had killed the baby or not. Later I kept wooden doll beside Rupa Vathi and told her that she had given birth to that only. Rupa Vathi said, “Mother. I heard that the crying of kid now. How this wooden doll is here?” I said, “You are in semi conscious state with delivery pains. More over you have the hope to have a child. Hence, you might hear such cries. You had delivered this wooden doll only. If you delivery a live baby, what I can do with that kid? It might be your fate. Don’t cry for what happened. It is not safe to cry after delivery.” I had cured her with medicines, service and counseling. I let her for some more months. Later I tried to make her to do prostitution. But she didn’t obey me. She said that her husband had missed. She had committed as chaste woman. When I forced her to earn money by doing prostitution, she said, “Mother. Please don’t force me. You don’t feel that why should you feed me as a waste. Any way you are maintaining servant-maids in your house. I also do service at your house works. Let me have food for such service like your other servant-maids. But don’t force me to do prostitution. If you force me, there is no alternative to me except death.” Since that, she is doing service in my house as housekeeper. By that way, yester day …”

Gandheswara had destructed her and said, “Enough, enough. Stop your long narration. Who is that mid wife? Where she lives?” Soundarya Valli told. The soldiers immediately brought the mid wife to the king’s court. The king Gandheswara said, “Oh Mid wife! Do you know this Soundarya Valli and that woman, Rupa Vathi?” With fear, mid wife replied “Yes Maharaja”.

The king said, “In which manner, you know her. Let us know.” The mid wife said, “Oh Maha raja! Since many years back, this Soundarya Valli had called on me to attend the delivery of this woman Rupa Vathi. Her eyes were tied with a cloth. This woman had given birth to a cute boy. Soundarya Valli had offered me money to kill the kid. I had accepted that deal with the desire on money. Oh, king please forgives me for this. I had taken the baby and came out of that house. I had reached the end of our city near the temple of Goddess Kalika Devi. I had seen the face of baby. The baby was smiling at me. It was cute baby. There was glory in its face. I was not able to kill the baby. I left the baby beside the snake hill in which we believe that 5 headed snake God is there. Later I had gone home. I don’t know what happened further.”

The king Gandheswara said with Rupa Vathi “Oh girl. Who are you? Is Rupa Vathi your real name? What is your native? Who are your parents? Why did you reach the burial ground? Being pregnant why did you attempted suicide by jumping into the fire of corpse? Is it not the sin? What is your past? Let us know.” She didn’t lift her face. She was watching her feet only. She said, “Oh Rajendra! Mahendra Giri is my native. The king of Mahendra Giri, Maheswardu is my father. They call me as Kanthi Rupini. My husband is the prince of Chandra Giri i.e. the son of King Gandheswara, by name Kanthi Rupudu. My father-in-law had kept us in 7-stared royal palace to lead daily life in peace. We lived there together like sun God and Goddess Chaya for some time. Days passed. What happened, I don’t know. One day we slept on terrace as usual. When early in the morning when I woke up, my husband was not beside me. I searched all over the palace. I didn’t find him. Through servant-maids, I had intimated this to my father-in-law. He had taken appropriate acts to search for him. I was living in the same palace with my servant-maids by waiting for my husband. I don’t know any sin. Miraculary, I had conceived the pregnancy. The servant-maids had informed to my father-in-law. He felt shy and blame of public. They had punished me by dropping me in the midst of forest by night. I didn’t know the way. More over I didn’t have desire to live. I had searched ways to commit suicide. I had gone across the wild animals. But unfortunately, no wild animal had hurt me. By that time, I had seen a fire light at far to me. I walked in that direction. I decided to leave this body, which got the blame of public by jumping in to the fire. What happened further you had heard by Soundarya Valli. But yesterday…”

Gandheswara disturbed her. He said, “Soundarya Valli! While explaining you tried to say something by saying yesterday. Now this woman also used the same word yesterday. What happened yester day. You say first. Later I’ll enquire her.”

Soundarya Valli said, “Maha raja! Yesterday, our Prince Madana Sekhara’s friend came to my house and informed me that our prince is interested to visit my house by night. The prince’s friend had given me 1000 Honnes and ordered me to arrange to entertain the prince, with this woman Rupa Vathi. As our profession is prostitution, I felt happy for the opportunity. I conveyed my acceptance. I tried to convince this woman to attend the prince. She didn’t accept. By night our prince came. I made him to wait in the bedroom. With force, I had dropped Rupa Vathi in that room. Within one minute, the prince had left my house. I had scolded this woman for that. Mean while your soldiers informed me to attend the royal court. Truly, this was happened.”

When the king Gandheswara enquired Rupa Vathi, she also confirmed it. Gandheswara said, “My son Madana Sekhara! With this enquiry, do you get clarification of your doubts?” Madana Sekhara said, “Father! Everything is in sequence like beads in the garland. But there are some gaps. How to confirm that the baby kept by the mid wife beside the snake’s hill is the same as the baby who did you find in the temple? Yesterday when I had gone on city tour, I had seen this woman watching me with keen eye. I had surprised. I found something attraction and relation there. I sent my friend to enquire. He informed me that the woman was the daughter of prostitute Soundarya Valli. Hence, I thought that there won’t be any possibility that I related to this woman but my mind was thinking about her always. I sensed something abnormal. I wanted to find out. By night, I had gone to Soundarya Valli’s house. In the dark, I had stepped on the tail of cow’s calf. The cow had scolded me that I was lustful man and was going to enjoy with my mother. With shock and surprise, I had gone inside. Soundarya Valli asked me to wait in the bedroom. After some time she had brought this Rupa Vathi and left us lonely. I had seen Rupa Vathi’s face. Miracle! Her breast milk had spread on my face. Immediately I return to the palace. There I sensed that there must be some secret regarding my birth. That’s why I requested you to do this enquiry. But still I have doubts whether the I am the son of this Rupa Vathi or not. As per midwife words she had left the son of Rupa Vathi beside snake’s hill. As per your words, you had found me in the inner temple. Hence, let us go to the temple of Goddess Kali Devi. She only can clear our doubts. Let’s go to the temple and devote her. Don’t waste time with words. Let’s go immediately. Come fast.” Madana Sekhara was eager to know and to go to the temple. All the Queens were informed this. They had recognized their daughter-in-law, Kanthi Rupini. The king along with ministers, teachers, scholars and people had gone to temple. Madana Sekhara had performed devotion to Goddess Kalika Devi. He had prayed her “Oh Mother! You are mother to every living being in this world. Let my mother get rid of blame. Let me get rid of sin. You should clarify our doubts and reveal the secrets of my birth. Otherwise I’ll cut off my head at your feet.”

He got ready to scarify his life by cutting his head with sword. Goddess Kalika Devi had appeared in front of them. She said, “Madana Sekhara! Gandheswara! Listen. The mid wife had left the baby beside the snake’s hill. The baby was crying. By hearing that, the 5 head snake Goddess had came out and watched the baby. She had noticed that the baby was your grandson with her magical power. Because your family is devotees to her since generations, she had kept the baby in the inner temple, here. You had taken him and brought up him by name Madana Sekhara. Madana Sekhara’s mother is this Rupa Vathi alias Kanthi Rupini only. Due to Kanthi Rupudu only, Kanthi Rupini had conceived the pregnancy. Because Madana Sekhara is the son of your son, he was made to reach you, as the valuable object reaches its own true owner. Hence, you be happy.”

Gandheswara said, “Oh mother! You are so kind to us. What you said is true. We know this all. But still we had a doubt. You said that Madana Sekhara is my grandson i.e. the son of my son. My son was missed from the specially built 7-stared royal palace for him. This happened before Kanthi Rupini conceived pregnancy. Then how this Madana Sekhara born to him. Please let us know.”

Goddess Kalika Devi smiled at him with affection. She said “Son. You are asking the secret of other world. Because you are my devotees and victims, I’m saying that to you. One night your son and daughter-in-law were sleeping on their terrace. By that time, 7 Yakshinies were travelling in the air after taking bathe in the beautiful lake beside your city. They used to do such on every full moon night. By watching your son’s handsome appearance, they had taken him with their magical powers to their world. They were enjoying with your son on turns. After some days, they felt pity on your daughter-in-law. Because she is his own wife, they had decided to give her one turn. As per such, they used to drop him on every 8th night on the bed of Kanthi Rupini and brought him back before morning. Because of the 7 Yakshinies magical power, no body including your daughter-in-law, her servant-maids and security guards was able to notice it. After few months, your daughter-in-law conceived pregnancy. Any way past is passed. Due to your fate, you all including yourself, your wives, son, daughter-in-law and your grand son had faced such sorrows. To anybody, fate is unavoidable. Due to your past acts, including good and bad, your fate will be designed. Hence, everybody should always do good. This is unavoidable to any living being in any world. Even deities also cannot escape from this system. What now the 7 Yakshinies have done, they will receive the appropriate fate in future. Hence, now you don’t cry for what happened. Now you locate the way by which you can get back your son. I can punish the 7 Yakshinies. But before that, I want to give a choice to them to realize their sin. Let Kanthi Rupini do Monday devotion towards 7 Yakshinies. If she does penance towards them, they will come to her. Let her ask them ‘her husband’ as a boon. Let me watch what they will do.”

Goddess Kalika Devi had blessed them and disappeared. Madana Sekhara had fallen on the feet of Kanthi Rupini and cried like anything. In the same situation, she had lifted him and hugged him. The king also had wept. All the people around them had tears in their eyes. The king and ministers had consoled the mother and son i.e. Kanthi Rupini and Madana Sekhara. King Gandheswara said, “Oh my daughter-in-law, Kanthi Rupini. You are like my mother. How many difficulties you had faced. My child, forgive me. I had done mistake in your case without knowing the truth. You are chaste woman. Without noticing it, I had driven you to forest. Because of your holiness, today it was happened to meet all of us. We had appearance of Goddess Durga because of your sincerity only.” His wives had received their daughter-in-law with joy and tears in the eyes.

Gandheswara returned to the court. He said, with Soundarya Valli, “Oh Soundarya Valli! You had troubled my daughter-in-law to do prostitution. You are eligible to get punishment for it. But you had saved my daughter-in-law who was pregnant from death. You had protected her since 20 years with food and shelter. That’s why I excused you.” He had given so many gifts including gold and money to her and sent her. He called on midwife and said, “You are really kind woman. Unless you left the baby beside the snake’s hill without killing, we could not get our grandson. You are really great.” He had given much more gifts to her including gold and gems.

On the other hand, Kanthi Rupini was on fasting on every Monday and doing penance towards 7 Yakshinies. On the 7th Monday, the 7 Yakshinies had appeared to her. She prayed them “Oh Yakshini women! Being chaste woman, I won’t desire anything else except my husband’s company. Please bless me to be with my husband.”

They had came to know what happened since her pregnancy up to the appearance of Goddess Kalika Devi to her; with their magical power and vision of knowledge. They had realized their mistake and sin. They thought, “With craze on a handsome man, how much sin we had done. With our magical powers we had taken him off from his wife. We separated loving wife and husband. More over we made him to forget everything. Not by leaving like that, we dropped him on turn on the bed of his wife. As a result, how many difficulties this Kanthi Rupini had faced. Our crime, our sin and we are the reasons for the separation of loving wife and husband, son and his parents as well loving mother and son. By the way, we became as the reason for their difficulties. This is because of our ego, we have magical powers. This Kanthi Rupini is a chaste woman. It is better to return her husband before she curse us.”

They had apologized her and returned Kanthi Rupudu to her. They had gone to Goddess Kalika Devi’s temple. Because they had realized themselves, they had sacrificed their magical powers at the feet of Goddess Kalika Devi’s and went to forest to penance by leaving their Yakshinies luxurious life.

In the palace, Kanthi Rupudu had realized and remembered all. He had recognized his loving wife Kanthi Rupini. He had hugged her. He had fallen on to the feet of his parents. King Gandheswara had narrated what happened in his absence. He had shown Madana Sekhara. Kanthi Rupudu had received everybody with great love. All had chattered until they get satisfaction. They had narrated one another about the happenings. Kanthi Rupudu had enjoyed the company of his loving wife, son and parents. After some years, Gandheswara had made Kanthi Rupudu as king of Chandra Giri and went to forest to do penance. Kanthi Rupudu had coroneted his son Madana Sekhara as a prince i.e. future king and ruled his kingdom with morals. In his ruling, people were happy and peaceful.

Do you hear, oh Vikramadithya in the disguise of Vysya businessman! You are the king of kings. You are capable to do anything. Because of your greatness, though we have no talkative power, we were able to tell you stories. Otherwise, we can’t tell any, even in the presence of deities. Here is the end of my narration.”

1 comment:

Wisdumb said...

Nice of you to take so much pain and contribute these stories to everyone ... Its very interesting and I hope every indian reads it ...